General information

  • Getting settled
  • Working in Europe
  • Accomodation
  • Insurance and social security
  • Europass

Getting settled

Every European Union (EU) citizen enjoys the freedom of movement and the right to live and work in the member states of the EU. Employees from another EU state have the same rights in terms of work, social security and living conditions as those from the host country. Within your new country you are classified as a "labour citizen", without acquiring full citizenship.

Most of the regulations and rules apply to all EU countries, with the exception of new EU-members; Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovenia and Slovakia, who are limited to a transitional period until at latest, 2011.

More information about these rules and the Accession Treaty can be found in the internet under:

If you are planning on staying in another EU country for longer than 3 months you should notify all the relevant authorities of your new address (both your home and host country). This is for your own benefit as you can take out an insurance policy directly in your host country without having to bother with awkward correspondence and accounts. You will also need a residence permit.

It is granted if you work (part-time, full-time or self-employed) or study. If you study and wish to take up gainful employment, all you need is a residence permit (you do not need an additional work permit).

Working in Europe

As an EU citizen you have a right to live and work in all EU countries: self-employed or as an employee. Naturally, there are various rules and regulations that must be fullfilled. For example, you need to register, pay health insurance. For further information about all the formalities in particular countries visit:


It happens that an accomodation for you is not provided by your university or employer. In that case, you will have to find a suitable place on your own. The cheapest alternative would be to share a flat with other people. moreover, you will get to know new people and have a chance to integrate with a new culture.

The easiest way to find a flat to share is to look at notice boards in universities' buildings, make your own advertisements or search in the local newspapers. Furthermore, there are numerous websites that provide helpful information when you searche for an accommodation. For example, in United Kingdom, which has similar sites all over Europe, e.g. in Germany -, in Belgium -

Insurance and social security

It is very important to make sure that you are covered with a health insurance, when you leave you homeland.

There has been an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) introduced to facilitate the access to healthcare system in the EU and to speed up the reimbursement of costs. The EHIC has replaced the old E111. The E111 forms are no longer valid from 1 Jan 2006. You should apply in your country of residence for an EHIC in an appropriate institution of the general health insurance.

Additionally, when your are a student and/or under 26 years old, you can get a general health insurance by buying an ISIC or EURO<26 card.

Another option is a possibility of buying a private foreign health insurance which is not expensive, but is often limited in its duration (e.g. maximum up to one year).


It was decided in 1985 that EU citizens could practice their learned profession in all other EU countries. Information regarding employment in the EU is provided by EURES - The European Job Mobility Portal.

EURES offers free advice and assistance in searching for employment. It helps employers with recruitment workers from other countries. moreover, it provides an advice and guidance for workers and employers in cross-border regions. ‘The Living and Working Conditions’ database details a number of crucial issues such as finding accommodation or a school, taxes, cost of living, health, social legislation, comparability of qualifications, etc.

Another valuable information tool is the ‘Labour Market Information’. It provides general description of the national and regional labour markets. Furthermore, it has a database containing information on current trends on the European labour market by country, region and sector of activity. Labour market information provided by the public employment services, indicates at national and regional levels, sectors with significant imbalance between labour demand and job demand in the short and longer term.

You can find more information about EURES at:


When looking for a job on the European market, it is important to be able to make your skills and competences clearly understandable. Europass is a project that helps you to move in Europe. It is recognized by EU, EFTA/EEA and candidate countries.

Europass consists of five documents:

1. EUropass CV

2. Europass Language Passport

3. Europass Certificate Supplement

4. Europass Diploma Supplement

5. Europass Mobility

First two of them (Europass CV and Europass Language Passport) you can fill in yourself. You should start with completing the Europass CV, if you want to use Europass. The Europass CV enables you to make your skills and qualifications visible, other Europass documents can be attached to the CV as well. The Europass Language Passport allows you to describe your language skills, skills that are vital for learning and working in Europe.

The latter three documents (Europass Certificate Supplement, Europass Diploma Supplement, Europass Mobility) are filled in and issued by competent organisations. The Europass Mobility is a record of any organised period of time (called Europass Mobility experience) that a person spends in another European country for the purpose of learning or training. The procedure is complicated and involves sending, hosting organizations. If you are interested in details, you can look them up at:

You didn´t forget anything?

Before your departure check up this list:

° reply ... university and sign up for exams

° apply forward of your letters to the post

° pay all your bills and maybe there are also extra costs of your flat to be payed

° if there are elections in your country you should demand for voting by mail

° send your new address to friends and important institutions

Living in another country enables you to explore a new language and culture and to find new friends.

During your residence and afterwards you will probably notice  that your experiences have had a deep influence on you.

You should be aware that coming back home oftentimes is not so easy, but try to see everything in a positive light.

Consider: You have learned something and you can use it now.

Just take a look over the rim of your plate and discover the attraction/appeal of intercultural experiences!

Okay, let`s go!